Top Ten Tips for Householders
1. Never plug adaptors into other adaptors and avoid using adaptors filled with plugs where possible.
2. Save energy by switching off electrical items that are not in regular use at the plug and ensure that when we are away from the house for any length of time that you unplug and switch off electrical items as items left plugged in can be a fire risk and waste energy if left on standby.
3. Always turn the electrics off at the mains if carrying out any electrical repairs and only attempt repairs if you know what you are doing.
4. Do not use any electrical items in the bathroom unless specifically designed for use there
eg. Shavers and electric toothbrushes. Even with these items however, take care not to get wet and avoid plugging and unplugging with wet hands.
5. Don’t remove a plug from a power point by pulling on the cord; always pull the plug.
6. Do not use electrical equipment outside if it’s raining.
7. Never use items with damaged cords so that the wires are exposed. Either repair or replace. Check items regularly.
8. Do not use damaged sockets, replace with care when necessary.
9. Ensure any electrical items are approved standard when purchasing and keep them correctly maintained where necessary. Look for the BEAB seal of approval
10. Circuit breakers and fuses should be the correct size current rating for their circuit.
11.Always use the correct wattage light bulb for all light fittings.
12. For any further tips and advice please give us a call or ring the NICEIC technical support line Mon-Fri 9-5 on 08700 130 391