Some of you may prefer to know the detailed regulations that govern our work. If so, read on,otherwise skip this page and simple trust our professionalism that we have always complied, and always will comply, with all governmental regulations regarding our work.

BUILDING REGULATIONS – PART P – ELECTRICAL SAFETY From the 1st January 2005, the design, installation, inspection and testing of electrical installations has been controlled under the Building Regulations.

Part P applies to dwelling houses and flats including garden electrics, ponds, outbuildings, garages, greenhouses, conservatories, porches, a covered yard or way and car ports open on at least two sides. *From the 1st January 2005, all electrical work in dwellings will need to comply with Building Regulations Part P requirements and be carried out by persons who are competent to design and undertake the work. *Minor Work, such as:- replacing any electrical fitting including socket -outlets, control switches and ceiling roses replacing cable for a single circuit only, where damaged by fire, rodent or impact re-fixing or replacing the enclosures of existing installation components providing mechanical protection to existing fixed installations.

Work that is not in a kitchen or special location and does not involve a special installation and consists of:- Adding lighting points (light fittings and switches) to an existing circuit Adding socket outlets and fused spurs to an existing ring or radial circuit Installing or upgrading main or supplementary equipotential bonding Will not need not be notified to a Building Control Body (see table 1 of Approved Document P) ‘Special locations’ referred to above include locations containing a bath tub or shower, swimming and paddling pools, hot air saunas. Special locations includes electric floor or ceiling heating systems, garden lighting or power installations, extra low voltage lighting installations. *All work that involves adding a new circuit to a dwelling, or electrical work in kitchens and bathrooms or in special locations will need to be either:- a) Designed and carried out by a person who is registered with a Competent Person Self Certification Scheme. There are currently five such schemes in operation (see below**). b) Be notified to a Building Control body, e.g. .form part of a Building Notice or Full Plans submission to the Local Authority where electrical work is designed and carried out by an electrical installer competent to test the installation and issue a BS7671 completion certificate to the client.

Building Control will need to inspect the installation work before any covering finishes are applied and at completion. Building Control will ask to have sight of, or preferably a copy of, the BS 7671 Completion Certificate before being able to issue any Final Certificate under the Building Regulations. (This may include electrical contractors who are members of the National Inspection Council for Electrical Installation Contracting, NICEIC or the Electrical Contractors Association, ECA but are not registered with a Competent Person Self Certification Scheme) c) In all other cases, be notified to the Building Control body, e.g.. form part of a Building Notice or Full Plans submission to the Local Authority. Building Control will need to make inspections before any installations are covered by finishes and at completion and may use a consultant to assist with the inspection process. Persons considering undertaking electrical work using unqualified installers or on a DIY basis are strongly advised to contact a competent electrician/installer who would be willing to provide a BS7671 Completion Certificate for them and to seek guidance on what may be required prior to covering up the work. Building Control will request sight of, and preferably a copy of, a BS7671 Completion Certificate before being able to issue any Final certificate under the Building Regulations. This means that electrical work should not be undertaken by unqualified persons unless it is carried out in such a way as to be capable of being inspected, tested and certified by an electrician competent to test the particular installation.

3 thoughts on “PART P REGULATIONS

  1. phireclas

    My partner and I absolutely love your blog and find the majority of your post’s to be exactly I’m looking
    for. can you offer guest writers to write content for you?
    I wouldn’t mind producing a post or elaborating on a few of the subjects you write
    with regards to here. Again, awesome web log!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.